TalkMaze

 

Photo supplied: Ghalia Aamer

What is your name & the name of your initiative?

Ghalia Aamer - TalkMaze

What made you want to start this initiative/community project/passion project/work on DEI-related projects?


I still remember the comments on my second grade report card, “Ghalia needs to speak up more and engage with classmates.” I struggled to speak up as a child. Joining the debate team in seventh grade changed my life. Debate empowered me not only to voice my own ideas, but to speak up for others and take leadership within my community. Over the next several years, I started my first company, Toon Tutors, became involved in student governance as well as the City of Edmonton Youth Council to advocate for other youth, and began volunteering in my community regularly. I had gained the confidence to take on these responsibilities through my involvement with public speaking and debate, which ultimately gave me a form of self expression and a belief that I am capable of more. In tenth grade, I began volunteering as the coach for my former junior high’s debate team to empower younger students the same way debate had empowered me. The number of students interested in joining the team grew from twenty to eighty and we had to start rejecting students due to a lack of resources. Having felt like I didn’t have a voice when I was their age, I knew the power of debate and it was disheartening to have to deprive students of such an incredible opportunity. In response, I merged my passion for business with my love for public speaking and debate by launching TalkMaze, a virtual coaching platform that connects learners from all around the world with high quality training.


Describe your initiative/community project/passion project/work on DEI.


Less than 15 percent of middle schools offer programs despite the fact that 73% of people are afraid of public speaking. This problem is real. In fact, more people are afraid of public speaking than death, spiders, or height. Yet, oral communication is the top skill that employers are looking for. 81% of corporate recruiters identify interpersonal skills as important, and 73.4% of employers want a candidate with strong written skills (according to research by GMAC). As a result, so many talented people are being undervalued because they lack the skills to effectively communicate. On the other hand, there is a niche community of competitive speakers and debaters who excel at tournaments like the World's Universities Debating Championships and are incredible orators, critical thinkers, and leaders. These people go on to attend some of the top universities in the world and use their communication skills to change the world. Yet, they lack a platform to share these talents with the rest of the world population. When a minority of people have the chance to take part in these competitive speech and debate programs and the rest of the population is left without access to such opportunities, there needs to be a change. We can leverage the talents of these accomplished orators and help millions of students around the world build solid communication skills. These issues coincide well with various Sustainable Development Goals including notably #4, Quality Education, #8, Decent Work and Economic Growth, and #11, Reduced Inequalities.


What was the biggest challenge you faced when you first started on your project & how did you overcome it?


“You’re too young,” sums up the start of many of my pursuits, notably my entrepreneurial journey. I set out to share my passion for education by becoming a tutor when I was 13 years old. No company would hire me because of my age so I made a job post to see if others had experienced similar discouragement. The overwhelming response inspired me to start a tutoring company to hire young people. Starting the company, Toon Tutors, involved many obstacles, especially because building credibility as a teenager running a business was extremely difficult. This made me realize just how tough it can be for youth to be taken seriously in an adult run world and this solidified my passion for advocating for youth entrepreneurship. Now, as I build my second company, TalkMaze, that I launched when I was 18, I continue to encounter many times when I am the youngest in the room. In fact, most of the coaches that work for me are far older and more experienced than I am. I had to work on building the courage to recruit, interview, and manage a team consisting heavily of people far older than me. Throughout my entrepreneurial journey, there have been multiple times when I have felt a lack of confidence in my own abilities because of being perceived less credible simply because of my age. However, I've been able to overcome it by surrounding myself with likeminded people, supportive mentors, and other young entrepreneurs. I now utilize my youth as a strength to advocate for others.


What are some things that you learned after starting your project?


I've learned an immense amount from working on TalkMaze. One key point that comes to mind is the importance of resourcefulness. I come from a family with no background in entrepreneurship and had a limited business network when I first started. By building connections and actively reaching out to community resources, I have been able to find the right tools to start and grow my business.


Describe the anticipated outcomes of your project & the actual outcomes of your project.


We're 1.5 years into the TalkMaze journey and not stopping anytime soon. We've already helped over 300 students and plan on impacting millions more.


What message/advice/tips do you have for young people who are starting to experiment with social justice work & looking to make a change in their communities?


Get started now. No one ever has it all figured out. You'll learn a lot throughout the process. Also, establish strong relationships with mentors who can guide you along the journey.


Learn more about TalkMaze by visiting talkmaze.com or @talkmaze on Instagram.










0 comments