Houseless Helpers

 

Photo supplied: Tosin Kuye


What is your name & the name of your initiative?
Tosin Kuye, Houseless Helpers

What made you want to start this initiative/community project/passion project/work on DEI-related projects?

After a recent trip to Vancouver, I saw a homeless man living on the streets and wanted to do something to help. I went up to him and asked if he wanted anything and he said "Pizza would be nice". I then went to the nearest pizza shop and bought a full pizza and gave it to him. He was very appreciative and that was the moment I knew I wanted to do more to help the vulnerable in our community. Once I returned to Edmonton, I began planning my fundraiser.


Describe your initiative/community project/passion project/work on DEI.


Houseless Helpers was an initiative with a goal to raise 5000 for three Edmonton based shelters, E4C WIN House and Hope Mission. The money raised was used to buy care packages for the shelters containing the items they needed the most. These items included gloves, mittens, sports bras, backpacks, toiletries and many others. I additionally went on the streets of Edmonton and talked to the homeless community and asked them questions about their everyday lives in a series called Living Houseless.


What was the biggest challenge you faced when you first started on your project & how did you overcome it?


The biggest challenge was certainly trying to raise awareness and gain traction into the project as it was difficult to tell people about the initiative to let others know. Over time, I was able to get coverage from a local media outlet who published the story to increase the traction on the fundraiser.


What are some things that you learned after starting your project?


It was really amazing to learn more about the stories and struggles the homeless face on a daily basis and things we often take for granted they sadly don't have access to. For example the need for basic hygiene is lacking among many homeless people as they unfortunately cannot access the resources needed.


Describe the anticipated outcomes of your project & the actual outcomes of your project.


As the fundraiser has now ended, the anticipated outcome was to raise $5000, however in total we were able to raise $5600 and about 300 pounds of clothing. It was quite awe inspiring to see people come together and support the cause and I am quite glad I was able to reach the target and make a difference.


What message/advice/tips do you have for young people who are starting to experiment with social justice work & looking to make a change in their communities? 


I would recommend to just go out and try it. I didn't think too much about doing it before I started, I just wanted to do something that would make a difference. If I thought too much about the logistics behind the project and what would have been involved, I wouldn't have been able to accomplish my goal. It was a wonderful experience overall and I hope others can make the same leap to start an initiative they feel passionate about.


To learn more about Houseless Helpers, visit https://www.houselesshelpers.com or @houselesshelpers on Instagram.


0 comments